The brand new Autumn 2021 Hot Topics GP Update course is ready to go! We are confident that we have the most up to date course out there. The following Hot Topics will be included:
- Acute respiratory illness in children
- Ahead of the expected surge in RSV and other viral illnesses this autumn and winter we shall look at the recent evidence and guidelines for assessment and management, including the August 2021 NICE guideline update on bronchiolitis and RCPCH guidance.
- Cardiovascular disease
- Atrial fibrillation, the 2021 NICE guidance, rate or rhythm control and the ABC of improving outcomes in our patients with AF.
- Heart failure with reduced ejection fraction, looking at recent evidence and guidelines including the role of mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists and SGLT2 inhibitors.
- Why bladder cancer is called the Cinderella cancer, how does cognitive bias affect our clinical reasoning in cancer diagnosis and new research on the link between platelet and white cell counts and cancer diagnosis.
- Respiratory disease
- New guidance on obstructive sleep apnoea, recently re-branded as hypopnoea syndrome, and the overlap with obesity hypoventilation syndrome.
- The role of long-term macrolides in the management of asthma, COPD and bronchiectasis with frequent exacerbations.
- SGLT2 inhibitors have an increasing evidence base across a range of indications but GPs have been reluctant to use them due to side effects concerns, especially the risk of DKA. New guidelines have been published on their use for the non-specialist, we take you through them.
- Mental health
- We look at complex PTSD, a common and unrecognized cause of primary care mental health presentations.
- We look at the latest evidence on primary care management of acute COVID-19 (e.g. should we be using inhaled steroids?), have a reminder on POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) as this is commonly linked with long covid, and look at new NICE guideline on VITT (vaccine induced thrombocytopenia and thrombosis).
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- We take you through the key changes in practice from the new NICE CKD published in late August 2021. Spoiler alert…it’s much more interesting than you might have guessed!
- The Environment and Health
- Air pollution, the health impact of the climate emergency & how we start to build sustainable General Practice.
- From acne in young people to dizziness in old people, we shall cover a broad range of other Hot Topics cases that we commonly deal with on a daily basis!
Hot Topics is a fun, inspiring and informative webinar-based course delivered by patient-facing NHS GPs which is packed with learning points to take away to use in practice. You can either do the course LIVE to get the full interactive experience, or ‘on demand’ at a time that suits you or a mixture of both. This is the beauty of this format: you do not need to leave home, you save on travel time and you choose the time and place to do the course to fit around your busy lifestyle.
We make it easy for you to maintain focus by keeping our presentations clinically focussed, short and sharp and with lots of opportunity for interaction. We use clinical cases weaved in to bring the literature and guidelines to life. We ask you poll questions as to how you would manage certain situations, and you can ask questions as we go along to our dedicated Q&A second presenter.
For Hot Topics, 23 years of experience and constantly responding to the feedback from our delegates has enabled us to produce a clinically relevant course format that really works for busy, front-line health professionals in primary care. But don’t just listen to us: 99% of our delegates say they will return. And, of course, all the material is 100% independent, and free from any external influence.
We look forward to seeing you!